Sunday 2 March 2014

Running my First 26K

Last weekend we had a strong snowfall that lasted for three days. Since I am not used to running in the snow, and I thought of all the hazards this weather condition brings along, I decided to stay home. I just did not find it responsible to run on a terrain that I do not know where I am stepping on; I could easily bend my ankle or fall. I also thought of the increase risk of cars sliding and losing control and running over us, especially when we are running on the shoulder of the road. I also thought of my feet being wet and cold for 26k (I have had them wet and cold before be never for 26k). So I decided not to go. Some of my running friends ran and some stayed home. So Today, those that did not ran last Sunday, were planning to pay for our 26k run, while the rest of the group was running just 19k.

But fate is fate and after a week with a fairly nice weather, it has to snow on Sunday again. ARE YOU KIDDING ME!

When training for a marathon it is hard to take two weekends in a row off. So, not really wanting to do it, I had to face the snow conditions today and go for my run. It was not as bad as it was last weekend though, but still, there was snow on the ground and slush on our bodies after cars that drove by threw it all over us.

After running 26k with the weather conditions we had today, I think anything else will seem pretty easy, and I mean it. It was my first time running on the snow/rain. The strides change dramatically so you feel the run faster in your legs. Going up hill (and today we had a few of those), is the hardest thing ever. My legs felt like stuck in concrete buckets and I had to move them with every stride I took. My legs were burning, my butts hurt and my back was all crunched and tensed because I kept looking down. It felt like I was not getting anywhere, like I was running in the same spot for longer than necessary.

There was just one positive thing, I had bought gore-tex runners (water proof), and so no matter where I put my feet in, they were all dry and warm. When I checked the forecast last Friday, I saw what was coming, and I knew I was not going to skip another run, so I headed to the store and got a new pair of trail-waterproof runners. Trail because they have more grip, which helps with the snow/ice conditions on the ground. Waterproof because after sticking your shoes in the snow for so long, plus the rain and the puddles, they eventually (sooner than later) get wet.

I broke all my running rules by using brand new shoes on a super long run. I was afraid they were not going to be comfortable. I should have broken them down on shorter runs first. But, luckily they were fine and served their purpose. They are not the softest runners that I have had, but at least they kept me warm and dry.

26k down in awful weather conditions. Next week’s 29k seems easy as long as Mother Nature does not decide to send another snowfall on us.

My Animal Lover Note:

No comments:

Post a Comment