Sunday 8 December 2013

Running Below Zero

Today I had a very interesting run. For the first time I ran with the temperature below zero. It was -6 degrees Celsius when we started running. Dressing for this kind of weather could be tricky. You want to be warm but at the same time you don’t want to overdress. I know I warm up as soon as I get running, and I hate the feeling of being overdressed as much as I hate to feel cold.

I read once that you need to dress as if the weather is going to be around 8 more degrees than what it is when you start running. So, if it is 10 degrees outside, dress for 18 degrees. This formula always work and has helped me finding the right clothes to reach a comfortable temperature when running.

I am used to running from zero degrees up. I have figure out all those numbers regarding which kind of jacket, top, pants, and gloves combination I need to wear. But today it was a new experience. I think I was able to pull it together by adding an extra layer to my upper body, leg warmers and a tuque.

Just one mistake, next time I need thicker gloves. I can’t run with my hands cold but I can’t also handle them hot, so I have gloves of different thickness to choose from according to the temperature outside. Today I chose some thicker, fluffy ones. They worked for the first half of the run, but later on, since the body heat tends to protect the vital organs when they are exposed to extreme temperatures, your fingers and toes loose heat very fast and it is harder to keep them warm. By the end of my run I could barely move my fingers.

I also had a situation with my running pants. I have a nice pair for very warm running pants. They have a layer of fleece on the inside so they feel really warm and cozy. I hadn’t worn them in a year, because they are the extremely cold weather pants, and when I wore them today and started running they started falling down! I spent all my run pulling my pants up! The good side is that this means I am leaner, and I think there isn’t a woman out there that does not get happy when she finds out she has lost some weight without dieting or putting an extra effort in it.

My Animal Lover Note:

No comments:

Post a Comment