Sunday 29 December 2013

The Need of Racing

It has already been a month since my last race, and I can tell how much of a difference it makes to my running when I know I am training for a race instead of just running. Racing is what makes the difference between a jogger and a runner. Our runs make more sense when they are gear towards getting ready for a race. We runners like racing, we live for it.

When I am training for a race, I never, ever feel like not running. I simply know it is something it has to be done if I want to do well on race day. When I am off season (like this last month) I skip runs very easily (just because it is raining), and usually I don’t feel like running long distances (why would I if a 10-12k workout is more than enough?). I can say that racing is what makes me a better runner, a more committed one.

On the other hand, it would be hard on the body and the mind, to even pretend, to keep the same level of training throughout every month of the year. They would burn out. So, it is good to have these off season periods to indulge in some laziness (which it does not mean not exercising), to change the routines, and to run less. After a while, we start missing the excitement, the commitment, and the hard work that is part of training for a race.

In one more week my off season time will end. On January 7th I will start a new running clinic. This time I will start training to run my first full marathon. This running season will hopefully take me until the end of October, when I will hit the off season months again.

My Animal Lover Note:

No comments:

Post a Comment