Sunday 19 January 2014

Back to Official Training

I knew it! I am so glad I took it easy during the Christmas Holidays (and by easy I don’t mean I did not work out, I just ran less). I needed a change. I needed to cut down my run days. Now, with the clinic in its way, I don’t care if it is raining, or cold, or dark. It is clinic time and running has a purpose, there is a race in the horizon, and a big one. Having this in mind changes everything. If I miss a running session, I pay it back. The weather stops being an excuse to go for a run, and my cross training sessions are now geared towards my race. I really enjoy this process, the building up, the commitment, the effort. It is a process that always pays back in one way or another.

We are all training to run our first marathon. We all wanted to run one, but we were afraid of doing it. We did not want to train with the traditional marathon group. It has very fast and experienced marathon runners, and we all felt intimidated. The only way we could do this was if we could do it together, and if Ron was our leader; and all these things happened.

There is a big group of people in this clinic, around 30. The group naturally splits into 3 sub-groups as soon as we start running: the experienced marathon runners and the faster people, us (my running buddies), and the slower gang. I find it very particular that we always end up running at the same pace. We are so used to running together that none of us runs with another group.

We just started a new journey, one that is brand new for us. We are all exited and scared. But we are also happy because we have each other to share the journey with, and we are lucky enough to have the best running instructor in the world: Ron Heron.

My Animal Lover Note:

No comments:

Post a Comment